England is to be placed under stricter nationwide restrictions from Thursday in an attempt to slow down the spread of coronavirus.
The new restrictions will initially be imposed from 0001 on 5 November until 2 December across the whole of England, with the plan to then ease them on a local and regional basis.
The furlough scheme will remain until then.
Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales have their own restrictions.
These are the new restrictions for England:
- Only leave your home for specific reasons – education, work if you cannot work from home, exercise, medical reasons, to escape injury or harm, shop for food and essentials, and provide care for vulnerable people, or as a volunteer
- No mixing of households inside homes, except for childcare and other support
- No mixing of households outside, including in gardens and public places
- All pubs, bars and restaurants to close – takeaways and deliveries allowed
- All non-essential retail to close but supermarkets can still sell non-essential goods – click and collect can continue
- Leisure and entertainment venues to close, including gyms
- International travel out of the UK banned, except for work
- Travel within the UK discouraged, except for work
- Work places should stay open where people cannot work from home
- Support bubbles remain
- Children allowed to move between homes if parents separated
- Outdoor exercise and recreation encouraged and is unlimited – only with your household/bubble, on your own or with one other person from a different household (golf is not allowed)
- People can sit on park benches and have picnics as long as it is with their household
- Services in places of worship banned but private prayer permitted
- Funerals allowed with close family members only
- Manufacturing and construction to continue
- Childcare settings, schools, colleges and universities to remain open
- Playgrounds to remain open
- Vets to remain open
- Courts to remain open
- Professional sports allowed but amateur sports are not
- Premier League matches will go ahead
Scotland has a four-tier system in place, with different areas under different levels of restriction.
Northern Ireland is under a four-week circuit breaker that started on 16 October.
Wales is under a two-week “firebreak” system that will end on 9 November.