French police shut down illegal rave that had been under way since New Year’s Eve

World

More than 2,500 people have attended an illegal rave in France, clashing with police who attempted to stop the event.

The rave, held in a disused warehouse at Lieuron near Rennes in Brittany, started on New Year’s Eve and came to an end on Saturday morning.

Mass gatherings are not allowed under French COVID-19 restrictions – and a nationwide 8pm to 6am curfew is in force.

More than 2,500 people have attended an illegal rave in France, as the country continues to grapple with coronavirus.
Image:
The event was held in a disused warehouse. Pic: Nicolas Mercier/Hors-Zone Press

Police said they tried to “prevent this event but faced fierce hostility from many party-goers” who set one of their cars on fire and threw bottles and stones.

People from France, the UK, Spain and other countries attended the event, authorities said.

One of the ravers, who identified himself as “Jo” from the Alsace region of eastern France, said they had all met at a designated spot on Thursday evening in the car park of a shopping centre.

The group then headed for Lieuron.

More from Covid-19

Jo admitted “very few had respected social distancing” at the event, where most did not wear masks.

A number of people slept in their cars before returning to dance, Le Monde reported.

Credit: Nicolas Mercier/Hors-Zone Press
An illegal New Year’s rave that attracted some 2,500 people to hangars south of Rennes continued into January 2 before finishing up in the early hours.
Image:
Police emptied the venue on Saturday morning. Pic: Nicolas Mercier/Hors-Zone Press

By Friday evening, the sound of techno music could still be heard from the party venue, though police prevented any newcomers from joining the rave.

France’s Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin held a crisis meeting to discuss the event.

Police started to clear the warehouse from 5.30am on Saturday, handing out more than 450 verbal warnings in the process.

Some attendees said they had hoped to stay for longer.

Anais and Lucien, who did not want to give their real first names, had driven for four hours from another region to attend.

“It brings back good memories! It had been so long since we had done one,” Anais said.

“We hesitated a bit before leaving, but we did well. There was even a fireworks display for the New Year.”

Prosecutors have opened an investigation into the illegal organisation of the musical gathering and premeditated violence against persons in authority.

Interior ministry spokeswoman Camille Chaize told news channel BFM TV there had been “great hostility, great violence” against police.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Anger over reports UK to cut Yemen aid with masses of children on ‘brink of famine’
UK to discuss EU proposals for vaccine passport aimed at reviving international travel
Bloodiest day in Myanmar protests as shots fired into crowds leave 18 dead
Dolly Parton changes Jolene to vaccine as she gets jab she helped fund
Abductors ‘threatened to shoot us’: Released Nigerian schoolgirls relive their mass kidnap terror

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *